Injustice 2 is a sequel to the 2013 fighting game Injustice: Gods Among Us. It was released in May 2017 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, iOS, and Android, with a Microsoft Windows version released later in November 2017.
Ultimate Edition and Deluxe Edition
An Ultimate Edition and Deluxe Edition was announced and was released alongside the Standard Edition on May 16, 2017. The Deluxe Edition costs $79.99 and the Ultimate Edition costs $99.99 at launch. The Deluxe Edition contains 3 DLC characters, 1 Power Girl skin for Supergirl, and 1 Defender Gear Shader Pack. The Ultimate Edition comes with 9 DLC fighters, Reverse Flash, Green Lantern (Jon Stewart), Power Girl and Black Lightning skins, and 2 gear shader packs: Demons and Gods.
On February 28, 2018, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced Injustice 2: Legendary Edition. Similar to the Ultimate Edition for Injustice: Gods Among Us, the Legendary Edition includes all previously released downloadable content for Injustice 2. It also introduces new features, such as an expanded tutorial system called the "Learn Hub", new gear items, and an increased character level cap. In addition, those who pre-ordered the Day One Edition of the Legendary Edition received a collectible coin, a steelbook case, a "comic exclusive download steel card", and 11,000 Source Crystals to use in-game. The Legendary Edition was released on March 27, 2018, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows.
During Brainiac's invasion of Krypton, Kara Zor-El and baby Kal-El are evacuated but Kara's shuttle is knocked off course. A few years before the events of the first game, Batman and Robin fight off a Regime attack on Arkham Asylum. Robin has a change of heart and attacks Batman: he is defeated but joins the Regime and kills Victor Zsasz.
Two years after after the imprisonment of Superman and the downfall of the Regime, Batman and the Insurgency are rebuilding society. On the orders of a mysterious benefactor, Gorilla Grodd forms a group of villains: Scarecrow, Bane, Poison Ivy, Cheetah, Captain Cold, Reverse Flash, Deadshot(after forcibly putting a nanochip in his head) and Catwoman(who seemingly betrayed Batman) to form the Society. Batman dispatches Black Canary, Green Arrow and a reformed Harley Quinn to Slaughter Swamp where they defeat Poison Ivy and Scarecrow(though Harley is briefly dosed with Fear Toxin and forced to face the deceased Joker in a hallucination) before following the villains to Gorilla City. After defeating Catwoman and Bane, they meet Doctor Fate, who warns them of an incoming threat. After defeating Grodd, Canary and Arrow are kidnapped by Brainiac, the true master behind Grodd and the Society. He wishes to collect Superman and destroy Earth. Brainiac takes over Batman's communications hub Brother Eye so he begins recruiting heroes to combat him.
He sends the Flash to help against the invasion in New Metropolis. After defeating Captain Cold, Deadshot and Reverse Flash, he meets Green Lantern and briefly fights him before realizing he can be trusted. Meanwhile, Catwoman, really a double agent for Batman, saves Harley. Batman sends Lantern to recruit Aquaman to their course, and he agrees after Brainiac attacks Atlantis. While fighting off the attack, he meets his arch-nemesis Atrocitus and foils his attempt to turn him to the Red Lanterns. Black Adam, Wonder Woman and Kara(who was rescued from hyperspace by Adam and given the mantle Supergirl) attack Red Sun Prison in an attempt to free Superman and their trapped Regime members and defeat Brainiac. After defeating Blue Beetle and Firestorm, they form an alliance with Batman and the Insurgency on the condition they do not kill.
Cyborg, Harley and Catwoman go to the Batcave to recapture Brother Eye. After they defeat Poison Ivy, Bane and Deadshot, Brainiac frees Grid from Cyborg's body. After defeating him, they override Brainiac and free Brother Eye. Wonder Woman and Supergirl fight the invasion in New Metropolis and defeat Captain Cold, Reverse Flash and Scarecrow. After defeating Cheetah, Wonder Woman prepares to kill her but Harley Quinn intervenes, so Wonder Woman mortally wounds her. Horrified, Supergirl defeats Wonder Woman, heals Harley and goes to the Fortress of Solitude to confront Superman Wonder Woman's actions. After learning of his evil, she defeats Nightwing, Black Adam and Superman. They then stop their argument when they realize Brainiac has collected New Metropolis. Angrily, Superman tries to infiltrate Brainiac's ship but the shields seemingly disintegrate him. The heroes refuse to hand Supergirl over to Brainiac, and Aquaman and Black Adam go to Kahndaq to release energy on the shields. Grodd brainwashes Canary and Arrow and sends them after the heroes. Upon defeating the heroes, they are joined by Blue Beetle and face Grodd, but he reveals that he brainwashed Blue Beetle as well. They defeat Beetle and Grodd, and Aquaman kills Grodd to avenge Atlantis. They use the Trident of Atlantis to channel enough energy to destroy Brainiac's shields.
Batman and Supergirl infiltrate Brainiac's ship, but he captures Supergirl and orders his army to finish Batman. Still alive, Superman saves Batman and together they defeat the brainwashed Firestorm and Swamp Thing. After taking down Doctor Fate, the latter is killed by Brainac. Brainiac overpowers the two heroes, but he is weakened from being cut off by his robots and defeated by Superman. As a result, his ship begins to fall to the ground but Superman uses his thoughts to levitate it. Batman finally defeats Brainiac but New Metropolis and Coast City are inadvertently destroyed, destroy Lantern's family are a result. An argument ensues, the Insurgency and Supergirl think that Brainiac should be spared as they need him to restore the cities, while the Regime and Aquaman believe Brainiac should be executed. Eventually their argument turns into a fight and Batman impales Superman with a dagger of Gold Kryptonite. The player is then given a choice who to choose:
- If Batman is chosen, he takes down Aquaman and Black Adam before going to the Batcave and wearing his kryptonite suit, allowing him to defeat Wonder Woman and Superman. He then uses Gold Kryptonite to permanently depower him and sends him into the Phantom Zone. He then offers Supergirl a membership in the new Justice League and she accepts.
- If Superman is chosen, he defeats Green Lantern and Flash before chasing Supergirl to the Batcave alongside Wonder Woman. After defeating Supergirl, he confronts Batman in his kryptonite suit and defeats him. He then re-establishes the Regime, restores Earth's cities and kills Brainiac. He roboctises Batman into his mindless slave and imprisons Supergirl. He reveals his plan to use the beings in Brainiac's collection to form the Legion and conquer the multiverse, and threatens to brainwash Supergirl if she does not side with him.
There are 28 base game characters, and 10 DLC characters. Darkseid was a pre-order bonus, but was made available as standalone DLC separate from the Fighter Packs. There are 16 new playable characters, with 13 returning characters from the previous installment. These characters are:
^a : Available as DLC or pre-order bonus
* : Denotes a returning player from Injustice: Gods Among Us.
Premier Skins serve as skins that change the characters' appearance, voice, and personality and even use powers from the base character. If it's not yet obtained, then they cost about 6,000 Source Crystals each for one skin. For example, the Black Lightning, John Stewart, Power Girl, and Reverse-Flash premiere skins are all part of the Injustice 2 Legendary Edition.
Injustice 2 has 12 stages.
The following are all the Stages:
|Arkham Asylum||Atlantis||Batcave||Brainiac's Ship|
|Fortress of Solitude||Gorilla City||Gotham City||The Joker's Playground|
|Kahndaq||Metropolis||Red Sun Prison||Slaughter Swamp|
- Ike Amadi - Atrocitus (major antagonist)
- Laura Bailey - Supergirl (deuteragonist)
- Ogie Banks - Firestorm
- Bruce Barker - Hellboy
- Steve Blum - Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) (one of the two tritagonists), Sub-Zero, Victor Zsasz
- Joe Brogie - Donatello
- Cameron Bowen - Red Hood
- Jeffrey Combs - Brainiac (main antagonist)
- Kevin Conroy - Batman (main protagonist)
- Ryan Cooper - Michelangelo
- Sara Cravens - Power Girl
- Antony Del Rio - Blue Beetle
- Grey DeLisle - Catwoman, Alura In-Ze
- Megalyn Echikunwoke - Vixen
- Susan Eisenberg - Wonder Woman (major antagonist)
- Robert Englund - Scarecrow (major antagonist)
- Richard Epcar - Joker (posthumous major antagonist), Raiden
- Charles Halford - Gorilla Grodd (major antagonist)
- C. Thomas Howell - Captain Cold (supporting antagonist)
- Taliesin Jaffe - Flash (Barry Allen) (one of the two tritagonists)
- Matthew Yang King - Atom
- Corey Krueger - Leonardo
- Brandy Kopp - Enchantress
- Phil LaMarr - Aquaman (major antagonist), Green Lantern (John Stewart), Lucius Fox
- David Lefell - Brother Eye
- Erica Luttrell - Cheetah (supporting antagonist)
- Vanessa Marshall - Black Canary
- Matthew Mercer - Deadshot (supporting antagonist)
- Joey Naber - Black Adam (major antagonist)
- George Newbern - Superman (secondary antagonist)
- Kane Jungbluth-Murry - Black Lightning, Black Manta
- Liam O'Brien - Reverse Flash (supporting antagonist), Brainiac 5
- Khary Payton - Cyborg, Grid
- Jim Pirri - Mr. Freeze
- Scott Porter - Damian Wayne (major antagonist)
- Ben Rausch - Raphael
- Patrick Seitz - Bizarro
- David Sobolov - Doctor Fate
- Tara Strong - Harley Quinn, Dr. Randall
- Fred Tatasciore - Bane (supporting antagonist), Martin Stein, Swamp Thing
- Alan Tudyk - Green Arrow
- Tasia Valenza - Poison Ivy (supporting antagonist)
- Kari Wahlgren - Starfire
- Travis Willingham - Flash (Jay Garrick)
- Michael Leon Wooley - Darkseid
- Amanda Wyatt - Voice Director
Like its predecessor, a free-to-play mobile app based on Injustice 2 was released for iOS and Android devices on May 11, 2017. The app was soft-launched in the Philippines App Store in February 2017. It maintains several gameplay features from the original, including the swipe-based fighting mechanics, card collection, and three-on-three battles, but it introduces various changes to the game's overall formula. Players are now given the ability to move around the stage freely during combat and use jumping and crouching attacks. The stamina management system returns; however, instead of each character receiving their own allotment of stamina, the player is given a single stamina pool, which depletes after every match. Fights also require higher levels of stamina than the previous game. The app includes login bonuses, daily objectives, which offer experience and coins, and achievements, which are long-term goals that reward players with premium gems and "hero shards" used for unlocking and leveling up characters. It also features game mechanics similar to those found in the console versions, such as ability and gear upgrades. The app includes a story mode, which will be released chapter by chapter in subsequent updates. According to Google Play, the Android version of the app has been downloaded at least ten million times since its release.
Injustice 2 received "generally favorable" reviews on Metacritic getting a metascore of 86/100 on PC, 87/100 on PS4, 89/100 on Xbox One, and 77/100 on iOS. While its Legendary Edition received a metascore of 88/100 on PS4.
- Warner Bros. announces Injustice 2 - Playstation Lifestyle
- Injustice 2 Ultimate Edition - Gamestop
- Injustice 2 Ultimate Edition Playstation 4 - Amazon
- Metascore for Injustice 2 on PC, Metacritic, Retrieved June 23, 2020
- Metascore for Injustice 2 on PS4, Metacritic, Retrieved June 23, 2020
- Metascore for Injustice 2 on Xbox One, Metacritic, Retrieved June 23, 2020
- Metascore for Injustice 2 on iOS, Metacritic, Retrieved June 23, 2020
- Metascore for Injustice 2: Legendary Edition on PS4, Metacritic, Retrieved June 23, 2020